Recipe: Quick kimchi
July 05, 2017
Kimchi, a national dish of South Korea is traditionally made from fermented cabbage that has a spicy, sweet and sour taste. True kimchi with all of its probiotic benefits requires months of fermentation. Try this quick kimchi recipe to explore the flavors of this dish before purchasing or making probiotic-rich kimchi.
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Yield: 2 servings
- 1/2 pound green cabbage
- 1/2-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha, to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Wash the cabbage and ginger.
- With a peeler, peel the ginger and mince it.
- Remove the cabbage core with a knife and thinly slice the leaves.
- In a medium bowl combine the cabbage, vinegar, sugar, ginger, scallions, and Sriracha to taste.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss thoroughly to evenly coat cabbage.
- Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Information / Amount per serving:
Protein 1.8 g
Total fat 0.2g
Total Carbohydrates 16.5 g
Saturated fat 0 g
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 230.5 mg
For delicious recipes, nutrition tips, and to find cooking and nutrition classes, go to the Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center website. More great info also available at the College of Health and Human Sciences Pinterest board.
Contact: Kendall Reagan Nutrition Center